Rosalyn Newsome has over 20 years’ experience handling all aspects of trade mark work. She routinely conducts global brand clearance work and creates global filing strategies to complement business drivers, timeframes and budget considerations.
Rosalyn has a reputation for handling cross jurisdictional contentious matters in an effective and strategic way, being mindful of the commercial considerations alongside the legal ones. She is an effective negotiator and frequently praised by clients for facilitating settlement in stalemate scenarios. She has considerable experience in securing and defending trade mark actions before the IPO, in particular invalidation challenges. She also handles numerous actions before the Company Names Tribunal, where she has an unbroken successful record.
Rosalyn heads the firm’s Cosmetic Sector group and engages with key organisations in the sector to ensure she is briefed on industry issues which could impact IP.
- Handling a classic David and Goliath trade mark case for a family run business versus a premiership football club: “Rosalyn is ‘a wolf in lambs clothing’. Do not be fooled by the softly-spoken demeanour, – my powerful objectors were comprehensively nailed by a combination of stealth and intellect”
- Working with a leading online-dating social network to protect, create and enforce its individual brands throughout the UK and Europe
- Removing more than 6000 grey goods from Amazon for Renew Life Canada. This was critical to prevent a breach of UK health and safety legislation and contractual obligations, aside from the pure trade mark infringement aspect
- Serving as a Mentor to final-year students at the University of Birmingham through their Careers Network’s mentoring programme, providing commercial insight, advice and career-focused guidance in the field of IP
- Being named Recommended individual WTR for consecutive years
- Member of The Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA) New Zero working group
Clients call Rosalyn Newsome a “consummate professional”. “Her work is timely, and she delivers high-quality, cost-effective, business-oriented guidance and work product.” Cosmetics companies especially value her support and strategic vision.
World Trademark Review 1000, 2022.