Katie is a qualified UK and European patent attorney and also practices in UK registered designs. She specialises in the areas of physics and engineering and manages patent portfolios in a wide variety of fields, including energy, electric and autonomous vehicles, augmented reality, turbine engines, heating systems, batteries and fuel cells.
She works with a variety of clients ranging from individual inventors to universities, SMEs and multi-national corporations, and tailors advice to the knowledge and needs of the client.
- Portfolio management and strategy advice in the field of computer-implemented inventions, including mixed-reality technologies for Darabase Ltd. and Zappar Ltd
- Patent drafting and prosecution for various universities concerning fuel cells, electrolysers, and batteries
- Involvement in patent prosecution and strategy advice for energy sector companies including ESG Pool Ventilation Limited, who provide highly efficient heating systems using heat pumps, and Heat Recovery Solutions (HRS) who provide energy recovery solutions for the oil, gas and power industries
- Supporting small companies and start-ups to make the most of UK-IPO funding schemes including the part-funded IP Audits and follow-on IP Access grants, including assisting with preparation of grant applications
- Managing a team of Barker Brettell attorneys to assist the in-house patent department of a large aerospace company, including the drafting of patent applications for over 100 inventions
“Your high level of competence means you are my default starting point when it comes to patent stuff!”
Stewart Hefferman, Innovation Development Manager, Warwick Ventures Ltd.
“Thanks a lot for your work on the patent. It looks excellent and you have done very well in understanding what is a detailed field (maybe they all are!). The whole process has been very professional and we are very pleased by the work you have done.”
John D. Murphy, Professor of Electronic Materials, University of Warwick.
“Katie and Dave, can I take this opportunity to say how much I’ve enjoyed working with you both on this training project, and I can’t express my gratitude enough for all the hard work you’ve put into it, especially organising and delivering excellent talks on every occasion, you are both a real credit to BB as approachable, friendly and very knowledgeable attorneys.”
Brian More, Innovate UK EDGE Scale Up Director, Inventya Ltd.