Katie is a patent attorney, as well as a design attorney, with a wealth of experience. She holds a PhD in engineering from the University of Birmingham on the use of hydrogen fuel cells for unmanned aircraft. Katie specialises in the areas of physics and engineering and has gained experience working on patent portfolios in a variety of fields, including range determination for electric vehicles, CO2 sequestration for hydrocarbon fuel extraction operations, turbine engines, improved heating systems and heat recovery.
She works with a variety of clients, ranging from individual inventors to universities, SMEs and multi-national corporations, and tailors advice to the knowledge and needs of the client.
- Patent prosecution for Alibaba and Amazon in the field of computer-implemented inventions
- Patent drafting and prosecution for Oxford University Innovation Limited, including in the field of electric vehicle range determination
- Patent drafting for the University of Warwick concerning fuel cells, electrolysers and batteries
- Led EPO oral proceedings before the examining division, under the supervision of a partner
- Involvement in patent prosecution and strategy advice for energy sector companies including ESG Pool Ventilation Limited, who provide highly efficient heating systems using heat pumps, and Heat Recovery Solutions (HRS) who provide energy recovery solutions for the oil, gas and power industries
- Awarded the Mike Higgins Prize and the Ballentyne prize by the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys for achieving the highest marks in the UK Design and Copyright Law examination and the Infringement & Validity examination, respectively
“Working with Katie has been fantastic in navigating the complicated world of IP. I would not have been able to proceed without her clear explanations and rapid responses to questions. Her knowledge and advice is highly valued, and her approach is professional yet friendly and approachable. I would definitely recommend working with Katie to anyone needing IP advice and support.”
Catherine Bowdler, Entrepreneur