Catherine has a wealth of experience advising clients on a wide range of trade mark matters including global portfolio management, freedom to use and the registrability of trade marks, as well as filing and prosecuting trade mark applications around the world. She is an excellent negotiator and adept at managing conflict matters. She is also the head of the Trade Mark practice and leads a large number of attorneys.
Catherine’s client portfolio includes UK, EU and global clients amongst which she’s built a formidable reputation for being “pragmatic, commercially astute and a pleasure to work with.” One client commented “Wiseman is an impressive character. Measured, careful and calculated, she doesn’t miss a trick.”
She is a regular attendee at INTA and MARQUES and an elected member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA) Council, helping to shape the UK profession. As part of the role, she is also on the CITMA Paralegal Committee and currently serves on the Representative Advisory and Working Groups. Catherine is also part of the UKIPO Transformation Programme Critical Friends Group – contributing to the working of the digitalisation and harmonisation of the UKIPO’s services.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive and cost-effective filing and searching international strategy for two biotechnology clients and associated enforcement work
- Lead partner on the portfolio of the IMI Group of companies
- Tackling trade mark infringement worldwide for a stringed instrument manufacturer, as part of a cease and desist programme to protect the integrity of the company’s brands
- Tailoring a bespoke searching strategy for a multinational flooring company, enabling the client to conduct initial knockout searches in-house, and driving cost-efficiency
- Being awarded ‘Best in trade mark’ at the LMG Europe ‘Women in Business Law Awards 2019’, in the Top 250 Women in IP 2017-2023, IP Star, Global Leader WTR 2022, Recommended individual WTR for consecutive years and ranked ‘Band 1’ in Chambers and Partners ‘UK Rankings for Intellectual Property: Trade Mark Attorneys’
“Catherine Wiseman is a superb brands strategist and trusted adviser to many significant brand owners. Her knowledge, experience and understanding of the international trademark landscape give her an edge over others. She has sound commercial judgement, provides wise counsel, and is a true collaborator and connector.”
World Trademark Review 1000, 2022