Will is a trainee patent attorney and routinely assists with drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the UK and Europe. He works on large patent families across a broad range of jurisdictions and also deals with post-grant matters, such as oppositions, at the European Patent Office.
Will has a particular interest in advising start-up companies and universities on securing IP protection. However, he regularly works with a variety of clients, including SMEs and multinational companies, and has particular expertise in the fields of pharmaceuticals, materials, medical devices, and food and drink.
- Drafted robust patent applications for inventions including pharmaceuticals, materials such as artificial tissues and polymers, and medical devices
- Prosecuted patent applications through to grant in a range of jurisdictions, especially Europe
- Provided freedom to operate analysis to support a client’s successful Innovate UK grant application
- Provided bespoke IP advice to individuals and start-up companies working at Innovation Birmingham and the Custard Factory, and through the Library of Birmingham
- Managed a cease and desist project for a major international automotive client
“Will is a genuine asset to my team and has the potential to be a great patent attorney. He is quick to take on board new ideas and assimilates information effectively and thoroughly. He approaches problems in a logical and ‘can do’ manner and seems to thrive on the challenge and variety that comes with the role of an IP advisor. I find him both dependable and a pleasure to work with.”
Yvonne Johnson, Patent Attorney and Partner, Barker Brettell LLP