John has over 30 years’ experience as a patent attorney and acts for a diverse range of clients, from startups and SME’s to large global corporates. His degree in Natural Sciences means he is well placed to in help clients in the physics and computer-implemented technologies fields. John has deep and varied experience in writing and prosecuting patents in advanced engineering, aerospace, lasers and optics hardware, medical devices and implants and software controlled telemedicine/ robotic surgery, and medical IT systems.
John heads the Aerospace sector as well as leading the secondment initiative.
- Worked at Qineitq investigating III-IV seminconductor properties using laser –induced phonon excitation. He undertook patent work on a wide range of technologies, including optical laser diffraction and ultrasound dispersion for particle size distribution determination on optics and software
- Drafting and filing patents for computer-implemented technology inventions
- Worked with HP on computer networks and media delivery
- Worked on backbone internet optical networks, switches and routers for Ericsson and for Cisco
- Drafting and filing patents on security software/technology for Qinetiq and financial technology such as credit cards
- Worked on vehicle telematic systems, control systems and display systems
“It’s rare in business that you come across true professionals and when you do, it’s a reassuring feeling. When it comes to patents, there is not much that is more complicated. Knowing we have Barker Brettell by our side is mighty reassuring. It’s a pleasure to do business with them – John and the team have a broad range of technical experience which means they can quickly help us identify valuable IP in the technology we’re developing.”
Mark Radley, Managing Director, Radleys.