Seminar on European IP – HoustonPosted on
The route to success: saving time and adding value to clients and attorneys
Aimed at: IP paralegals, IP managers, IP coordinators, IP administrators and anyone responsible for European IP within their organisation
Venue: Blank Rome, 717 Texas Avenue, Suite 1400, Houston
Date: Monday 22 January, 2017
Time: 3.30pm – 5.30pm including refreshments and networking
Please join us for a seminar on European IP at Blank Rome.
John Lawrence, Anne Bate and Carly Evans from Barker Brettell will discuss ways to save time and keep down costs when investigating unusual European patent and trade mark situations. They will cover recent changes in EU law and any practical impact on US users of the European systems; differences between US and European practices and how to overcome some of the challenges of working with the EPO and EUIPO, including:
Patents and Designs
- European patent applications – filing tips and hints
- Practical approach to using the European Patent Office Register as a resource
- Discussion of recent law changes affecting assignments
- Controlling the speed of patent prosecution – using extensions of time, further processing, Procedure for Accelerated Conduct of Examination (PACE) and the Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH)
- Overview of European Community Design Applications and UK Registered Designs
- EUTM Vs National Applications – tips and hints
- How EUTM Oppositions differ from US proceedings
- Seniority Claims – when and why to claim and when not
- TM tips for description of goods/services
- EUIPO Register and its practical uses – information you can access and what else we can obtain for you.
John, Anne and Carly will be available to answer any questions you may have after the event.
With a reputation for being highly responsive, John has more than 30 years of experience advising US law firms and state-side direct businesses on European IP. He has worked with hundreds of paralegals at firms across the US, and is described by his US clients as having “the ability to make complex issues simple to understand”.
Anne Bate, Patent Administration Team Manager, Barker Brettell
With forty years’ experience in IP, Anne’s knowledge of UK and European patent and design formalities is regarded by her US clients as invaluable. “She takes the time to really understand the client.”
Carly Evans, Senior Trade Mark Paralegal, Barker Brettell
Carly is a highly experienced trade mark paralegal working closely with clients across the world on all matters relating to European trade mark IP. She is known for her attention to detail and ability to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Please register your attendance here, with details of any dietary requirements. If you have a particular issue you would like covering, please let us know when you register.