Scott has a wealth of experience in helping clients identify patentable inventions within their innovations, to help them develop a robust IP strategy. He has a strong track record of getting patents granted, especially at the European patent office when faced with summons to oral proceedings. His background in Physics makes him well equipped to understand a wide range of areas of technology from simple mechanical inventions to quantum technology. Scott has a particular interest in the fields of software, AR/VR technology and AI. This has led him to develop skills in helping clients navigate through excluded subject matter objections at the European and UK patent offices. Scott has worked with a range of clients, including multinational corporations, SMEs, start-ups and individual inventors in the UK, Europe and beyond.
- Helped a US multinational software corporation re-establish a withdrawn patent application that they had acquired. This involved holding calls with all parties involved and a detailed analysis of the facts and timelines to present the case to the European patent office leading to successful re-establishment of the application
- Involved in drafting and prosecuting patent applications for a British-based tech start-up who went on to be acquired in a multi-million-dollar deal by a big-name US social media company
- Working with Mastercard to draft and prosecute patent applications in the area of financial technology
- Helped to defend a European patent application owned by a multinational consumer goods corporation by filing a response to a notice of opposition resulting in a positive preliminary opinion issued by the Opposition Division for maintaining the patent
- Previously involved in prosecuting patent applications for BlackBerry™ including cases covering mobile communication standards
“It has been a pleasure working with Scott on our patent filings. Effective IP protection is essential for our spin-out company and our inventions span a vast range of areas, from nanotechnology, smart systems and green technologies. Scott has the ability to understand complex inventions quickly, and has provided proactive professional service with value adding strategic insights, and with prompt turnaround times.”
Prof. Dominic Zerulla, UCD.