Becky is a trade mark attorney and holds a distinction in both the PG Certificate in Trade Mark Law and Practice and the Professional Certificate in Trade Mark Practice, including the prizes for ‘Best Overall Student’ and ‘Best Designs & Copyright Student’ at Queen Mary. With a specialist interest in the Medical, Cosmetics, Fashion, and Start-Up sectors, Becky brings her expert knowledge to any case she takes on. On top of this, Becky regularly contributes to a number of articles to the Barker Brettell website and to The Fashion Law publication.
Becky’s experience includes assisting on a successful EU opposition against a leading luxury brand, social media and e-commerce takedowns and domain name complaints, and crackdowns on counterfeit goods including customs work. She also deals with infringement and passing off matters, invalidity and revocation actions, clearance work, filing, and oppositions for international portfolios.
- Advised on the presence of a malicious cloned website causing reputational damage to the client. Secured the suspension of this website and accompanying messaging service being marked as a scam, providing information which was passed on to the criminal authorities
- Oversaw a number of foreign oppositions in Eastern Europe, resulting in an amicable settlement in order to protect the client’s rights and its opportunities for expansion
- Advised on an infringement matter for a local Birmingham business, quickly and efficiently securing cessation of the other side’s use, and a change of company name
- Oversaw a complex enforcement program for a client, tackling counterfeit goods in China and working with local counsel to secure the cooperation of the Chinese authorities in launching raid activity, in addition to cleaning up misuse in the UK market by approaching a variety of infringers and passing along information to PIPCU
- Obtained the destruction of counterfeit goods for a client, subsequently securing customs applications throughout the EU, and embarking on a programme of locating and removing counterfeit listings from a number of online platforms and webpages
- Advised on the absolute registrability of a figurative mark. Helped said mark to achieve registration throughout the EU on the grounds of acquired distinctiveness
- Helped untangle a complex series of assignments to regularise the chain of title for a company that had gone into administration. Subsequently helped to record these assignments throughout the world
“We have been very impressed with Becky – she has been incredibly resourceful, responsive and resolved the issue very rapidly. We work with a lot of reputable firms but this has definitely stood out, and I was very surprised to see she only qualified in 2018.” – Eloise Morse at Algebris Investments.